Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Research Extravangza/ Mom's Life 101

Sorry I haven't had the energy to blog much lately. Life's been a bit chaotic as you can well imagine. Though it was a weekend filled with time away from Mom while I worked and caught up with friends-she had plenty of visitors herself and greatly appreciates all the visits!

Well not much time to write, right now. But wanted to share info with all of you, who are limited in vocabulary/knowledge, like myself, when talking about what my mom is going through. So here are some of the sites that helped me out with understanding what's going on with her right now:

AML (the type of Leukemia she has):
http://www.marrow.org/PATIENT/Undrstnd_Disease_Treat/Lrn_about_Disease/AML/index.html


Mom's two other disorders:
Myelodysplastic Syndrome
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/myelodysplastic-syndromes/DS00596
Myeloproliferative Disorder
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/myeloproliferative-disorders-000114.htm

Red cell transfusion (what she is starting to need because of her decreased number of cells):
http://www.marrow.org/PATIENT/Undrstnd_Disease_Treat/Undrstnd_Treat_Opt/Lrn_Other_Treatment/Blood_Transfusions/index.html#purpose



BONE MARROW TRANSPLANT INFORMATION:
(The game plan, once she goes into remission from the Leukemia)
Cord Blood:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord_blood
Engraftment (her body's acceptance of the cord blood's cells):
(Days 0-30)
(Days 30-100)
http://www.marrow.org/PATIENT/Donor_Select_Tx_Process/Early_Recovery_Days_30_100/index.html

I will try to give more of an update in the next few days. At this point from what she's told me during visits. She's feeling well, but is progressively getting more and more nauseous. (And as a result food is looking less and less appetizing). She's estimating that she will most likely be loosing her hair starting in about a week and a half.

But over all she's in good humor, just very busy with all of the IVs, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, visits, updating, as well as over all exhaustion. So prayers for energy and good health are key. I am beyond paranoid about the health of those around me right now, so if any of you are even thinking you might be sick-please stick to phone calls. I really cannot afford to loose my good health, I need to save ALL of my Paid Time Off for when Mom goes to transplant...whenever her body and the doctor's decide that she is ready. Well off to finish folding some laundry. Gnight friends!

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment