So apparently, even though I took the afternoon off to see mom, I still missed the doctor. Mom's doctor caught up with her yesterday morning and was happy to hear that the fevers she'd been having, while he was out of town, had dropped back to a healthy temp. *knocks on wood*
Then went on to discuss treatment plans that one of the other doctors had suggested, unfortunately mom wasn't awake enough to recall all of this later on and didn't have the chance to grab her tape recorder. Shoot. But the doctor did ask if she had any 1/2 match tissue type options (aka, me and my sister, or one of her siblings) in town. Her siblings have already been tissue typed, and when he heard I was local he ordered the test for 2pm yesterday. And as mom recalled he said he'd "be back later". (But maybe he meant another day? We didn't see any of them in the afternoon-despite my best hopes).
Needless to say I am having a hard time keeping hope down. I'd assume that since he was asking for the tissue typing, of all of us, it means the Natural Killer Cells (NK cells) plan is well on it's way! :) From what I recall from earlier discussions these little guys are part of our white cells, and the hospital is currently doing a study to use these (I believe). The study takes NKs they alter the original form that they'd take from us, the donors, and use them like little "pac-men"/"ninjas" (that's how I imagine them) to eat up/fight off the rest of the Leukemia blasts for mom's system. And the reason they'd want a half match is because it would be more compatible with mom's system, but still have enough difference in the typing to be a little feisty.
Well folks that's the news for now! Mom's still improving though still feeling a bit groggy/foggy from one of the many adventures she went on over the last few weeks. So prayers that her brain clears up back to it's normal state. Thanks everyone YOU ARE ALL AMAZING AND WE LOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE YOU!
No comments:
Post a Comment